I work in a VERY small office (very small) and there are very few "normal" people in the office...okay - there are two of us...out of 8 total. So, it comes as no surprise - at least to me - that I have only made a real friend-outside-of-work connection with one other person. It is a priceless connection, though, and I love this gal to death!!!
Moving on...we were walking to lunch the other day and somehow we started talking about fashion. Not the clothes that are considered high fashion, but the women who decide to go out in public looking like they couldn't find a mirror anywhere! So my co-worker says that topic used to be frequently discussed between her and her friends in school...and instead of saying what was wrong with so-and-so's style, they would say, "she needs a girlfriend."
I looked puzzled for a minute and my co-worker explained the comment. There is a distinct difference between a friend who happens to be a girl and a girlfriend. What follows are the comparisons mentioned - in list form - in our conversation:
A friend (who is a girl)
- won't answer truthfully when you ask if your "ass looks big in these jeans"
- would rather not hear about your date night with McDreamy
- moans and groans when you ask for help
- doesn't let you borrow her clothes
- laughs and says how thankful she is that she wasn't with you when you got pulled over
...on the other hand...
- will let you know when your seams are about to burst
- can't wait to hear the details of your date
- never complains when you need something
- asks if you want to wear the new shirt she just bought - before she does
- is somehow always right next to you when you get into trouble
I am eternally grateful for my girlfriends...who strive (very hard) to help me look like this:
...instead of this: