Tuesday, September 20

Lesson #143 - Some Choices Aren't Easy

Recently I was presented with a unique opportunity...to do what?! you ask...to re-enter the workforce, my lovely pupils!!

Now, as much as I love staying home with the kiddos, going to the park to play, walking in the rain, plastering chalk graffiti all over the neighborhood and taking late afternoon naps - it just doesn't pay the bills (which is a total crock, if you ask me)!

Going back to work presents a unique set of different circumstances. My potential work day would be from 8a (which means I'd have to leave around 7a to arrive on time - 15 miles from home) until 5p...and that is on a good day. Granted, I would have weekends off but I just don't know how I feel about this deal.

I am exhausted as it is now and I already have an altered schedule from most people. The Man doesn't wake up until 10a because of his work schedule, so that is the same schedule the kids are on...and thankfully we can stick to it most of the time.

In addition to retraining myself on a more "normal" working person's schedule, comes the challenges of child care. The Man's parents watched both kids while I was working part-time - which was only 1, maybe 2, days a week - but 5 days is a huge jump for 2 older adults who aren't in the best health.

As much as I'd love to get back into the workforce, I worry about my in-laws having the chitlins for such a long period of time during the day - especially both of them together. They both play get, but should I look for another option - preschool for Lulu or daycare for Bubba - and separate them to make it easier? Would the one not at home feel like an outcast because s/he was being sent somewhere else for the day? Maybe it would be better to send them both out to their respective schools, but on alternating days?

I'd love to hear your thoughts - those of you in bloggy land...do you think either Lulu or Bubba would feel like an outcast being sent off to school/day care while the other gets to stay home with my in-laws?

Why can't the government just pay me for raising my children to be an integral part of society?! Not enough parents are doing that these days - shouldn't it count for something??

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, if that job paid, I'd be at home right now (eating Cookie Crisp and watching cartoons...bad dad, bad dad).

As far as school goes, both of ours go to the same school/daycare -- she's in Pre-K and he's in the senior toddler room. It's nice because she can transition from Pre-K to "after care" by moving to another room as opposed to having to coordinate pick-up, work schedules, etc. If you can get them in the same situation, I highly recommend it. (Plus, since she's in the state Pre-K program, I only have to pay a minimal amount for aftercare instead of the full-day cost.)

Amy said...

Good luck with your decision! I sent my older ones to school while the younger one stayed home with me. Sometimes it went well, sometimes they complained. But kids will sometimes complain about anything.

life...just saying said...

Bummer, that. I was lucky enough to stay home with my kids...even homeschooled them. My husband works for th USPS. Who knows where that is headed but I did start a cleaning biz which helped supplement when the kids were younger. Now that they are grown it (the biz) grew too. I wish you the best!
BTW, new follower from a hop.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Good luck!

I'm sure the kids will be okay.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

Following from BIF Blog Hop!

Mommy Needs A Time Out
www.mnato.blogspot.com

Liz Mays said...

You need to turn into a professional blogger and then you won't have to worry about it! But if you do go off to work, the kids will be a-ok no matter what you choose!

Brae Craig said...

Honestly, I do think you're over thinking it just a little bit. Having a grandma and grandpa babysit would be 100% better than any preschool, if they are any kind of responsible. How fun! And sending your daughter to preschool while your bubba stays home with Grandma may or may not make her feel left out. It's not something you can predict, but even if it were, it's not something you have any control over. If it happens, you talk about it. You help her see that school is important. She's a bigger girl than her brother, and when he is that age, he is going to be in preschool, and then he won't be staying with grandparents either. But school is where she needs to be.

And really, when it comes down to it, she's going to go to school eventually anyway. It's not a punishment, and she'll have a really great time.

I'm following you from the blog it forward hop. I've also pinned your blog on pinterest!

Brae Craig said...

In the first sentence, I meant DAYCARE, not preschool. Sorry!

Lynn said...

I am in the same boat as you right now. My suggestion would be to see if there is someone in your community, a young girl, 15-16 that would come into your house and take care of your children. I suggest that they stay together. Babysitters dont't get paid much so it won't break the bank. She can be in charge of getting the children's homework done and give them their snack and then at that point you should be close enough to being home. Good luck, these are hard decisions. And I agree we should be paid to be mothers!!

Lynn

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) said...

If this was me, I would let the opportunity pass by. It's just not the right time for me. The reason I left the workforce is still valid. The thing with job offers - and I know this is hard to accept - is that they're not the only one that you'll ever receive in your life. If you let this one pass by, another one will be there when you need it as well. So take it if it feels right. But let it go if it doesn't.

Unknown said...

Sweetie, i am sorry. I think your Inlays can do it ...maybe you can give them some money if you feel guilty...I don't know...but just follow your heart.
Xo

And this economy sucks big time but nothing is "free"

Big D and Me said...

I think it would be perfectly fine to send one to school and not the other. You could always send them on different days. Lulu gets M/W, Bubba gets T/Th at school and then both with a baby sitter on Fridays. On the M,T, W, Th only one would have to be with your in-laws. Of course, it might be easier to watch them and they would have a playmate if the other were with them. If you can, send them to school together a few days a week, it's just easier in terms of pick up and dropoff.

jessicaclarke said...

Tough choice! I went back to work when my oldest was 6 months because I got offered a job with awesome pay and I hated it. I cried everyday and it wasn't worth it to me, but you need to figure out what works for you. Good luck, I'll be looking to see what you decide

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Button

Spooky Swap

My Inspiration

Design By:
Zany Dezines