I hate dry cakes, so I found 2 ways to make mine very moist...one is applesauce!! What follows is the recipe for a moist chocolate cake using applesauce. Once you've made the cake and everything has cooled off, put it in the fridge overnight. Those two things together will make anyone who eats your cake beg for more!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer set on medium speed. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Pour the batter into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.