I was browsing Yahoo! the other day (can I say that on Google?! Oh well!) and came across this grrrrreat article title "10 Things Husbands Should Never Do" written by Diane Oats. As I was reading through the list, I couldn't help but to laugh. Some of these things fall under my, "Things Not To Say If You Want To Live" category, but others were just plain silly!! The man was looking over my shoulder as I was reading and as I laughed all he could muster was a scoff..."I bet that was written by some feminist broad," he said. I shot him "the look" and he kept his trap shut. Instead of re-printing the article I am going to summarize. These are good!
10. Expect a medal for doing a little housework. I couldn't agree more!! Just because I am a woman and you are a man - doesn't mean you can't chip in a little too...I mean, we both live here and share responsibility for the mess...so we should both clean, right?! Saying you're going to clean, but then leaving the mess for me doesn't count either - in fact, it will make me more mad.
9. Say anything remotely critical about our new haircut. We like to be pampered and getting a new 'do falls into that category. There is nothing quite like someone washing your hair and then giving you a new look in the mirror. However, if the job was botched - don't say anything because chances are, we already know that!
8. Know it all, especially in public. This one didn't rank high on my personal list. Things like this happen all the time. You might have done something, but someone else knows someone who did the same thing just a little bit better - or faster - or longer - or...well, you get the picture.
7. Buy clothes without trying them on. The point behind this one was that if the clothes don't fit then I would be stuck with the returns. Thankfully, though, the man doesn't require a lot of new things...so this one doesn't fall high on my list either.
6. Be unimpressed by a meal that took a lot of time and trouble. The great thing about this one is that if the man doesn't make a fuss about a meal - when I obviously took a long time to prepare everything, cook it up and make a stellar table scape presentation...then I just don't cook anymore. Simple as that! As you can see - this one also didn't rank high on my list.
5. Brag about your driving. The man frequently tells me that I can't drive. Really, I can't drive LIKE HIM and that is what frustrates him, I think. Diane threatened to "reach over, grab the wheel and make the car swerve into something, just to shut him up" and to that I say - GREAT IDEA!!!
4. Buy us the “cougar” perfume. LOL! The man knows not the get me perfume...it is a waste of money for something that I will only really have the time to put on a few times. A gift card for a massage - or any other spa treatment - is always a welcomed gift!!
3. Give a home appliance as a gift. I would like to add - "unless I ask for it" because whatever appliance makes my life easier is always welcome in my casa.
2. Imply that office work is harder than housework. Being on both sides of the spectrum (office work by day and mommy/house work by night) then I can definitely say that the housework takes more steps. Both are mentally taxing and tiresome, though. Since the man doesn't have a conventional "office job" this has never really come up.
1. Offer to “babysit” your own kids. DING, DING, DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!! I couldn't agree with item number one more - and it definitely makes MY number one! Last I checked, I babysat OTHER peoples' children all through high school and even some of college...but once the babe was born, then it is considered being a PARENT...unless someone wants to pay me to watch my own child - in which case that person should contact me so I can send over a W-9!
So, what is YOUR biggest "suggestion"- leave it in the comments section!! I can't wait to read them!